Members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in East Azerbaijan province, Iran. IRGC / Wana / Reuters
Members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in East Azerbaijan province, Iran. IRGC / Wana / Reuters
Members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in East Azerbaijan province, Iran. IRGC / Wana / Reuters
Members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in East Azerbaijan province, Iran. IRGC / Wana / Reuters

UK government under pressure to ban IRGC four months after vote


Paul Carey
  • English
  • Arabic

The government's failure to ban Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps more than four months after MPs voted for it was challenged on Tuesday.

The House of Commons unanimously passed a motion in January to urge the government to proscribe the IRGC as a terrorist group.

Although the vote was not binding, it put pressure on ministers to respond to violence against protesters in Iran by security forces controlled by the IRGC.

Peers in Westminster have now called on the government again to take action against the military body, which has been proscribed by allies such as the US.

“It’s now been more than four months since the House of Commons passed a resolution universally in favour of proscription of the IRGC," Labour's Lord Walney said.

“This is an organisation which is committed to armed resistance against Israel, exactly the same grounds on which the government has proscribed Hezbollah.

“Our intelligence services are clear that it is committed to kidnaps and killings on UK soil.

“There must be an argument within government not to do this, so can the minister enlighten the House on what this is, because it seems very obvious that it should be proscribed to many members across both Houses?”

Labour frontbencher Lord Collins of Highbury said: "This is not good enough.

“We’ve had ministers and prime ministers support the objective of banning this organisation, which is a threat not only to the citizens of Iran, but also to the citizens in this country.

“It’s about time we acted, rather than just talked.”

Former Tory Cabinet minister Lord Pickles said there was a feeling of “groundhog day” about the Government’s responses to questions about banning the IRGC.

“We seem to be going around the Houses time and time again," he said.

“This is an organisation that pays for the people that send missiles into Israel into residential areas, use children as human shields, they pay for organisations that have murdered a British mother and her children.

“What more does the IRGC need to do for the government to proscribe it?”

UK considers proscribing Iran’s Revolutionary Guards - video

Labour peer Lord Harris of Haringey said there was “clearly a row going on in government”, claiming that the Foreign Office is vetoing a ban on the IRGC against the will of all other departments, and accused the government of “shilly-shallying” on the issue.

Home Office minister Lord Sharpe of Epsom said: “The government takes the threat of the IRGC very seriously, and continues to condemn its actions.

"And the government will always consider the full range of powers available, including our robust anti-terrorism powers such as the proscription tool, where appropriate, to address the threat posed by Iran and the IRGC.

“Over 300 Iranian individuals and entities have been sanctioned for activities which include human rights violations, including 70 since October last year.

“Other activities would include nuclear proliferation, support to Russia, various other regional activities.

“As an entity, the IRGC was designated in its entirety under the Sanctions and Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2018.

"More than 30 new designations of IRGC-related organisations and officials have been made by the FCDO since October 2022.

“The government does keep the list of proscribed organisations under review.”

Lord Sharpe said the government would not comment further on proscription to avoid creating expectations and reduce the risk of an organisation taking evasive action before any potential proscription order.

Meanwhile, the Bishop of Chelmsford, the Rt Rev Dr Guli Francis-Dehqani, called for safe routes to the UK for Iranians facing religious persecution.

“In a recently published joint annual report by Article 18 and other Christian organisations, the IRGC’s increasing involvement in the crackdown against peaceful Christian activities was highlighted for the second year in a row," she told Lords.

“Other religious minorities and peaceful protesters also report violent treatment during arrest and detention, as well as interference of the IRGC’s intelligence branch in court proceedings to ensure harsher sentences against those who are accused.”

Bishop Francis-Dehqani said there was more the government could and should do beyond proscription.

She asked whether it would consider offering a “safe route scheme for those from Iran who have suffered persecution in the form of arrest and imprisonment on account of their faith".

“I can’t comment on that but I will make sure her views are taken back," Lord Sharpe said.

The burning issue

The internal combustion engine is facing a watershed moment – major manufacturer Volvo is to stop producing petroleum-powered vehicles by 2021 and countries in Europe, including the UK, have vowed to ban their sale before 2040. The National takes a look at the story of one of the most successful technologies of the last 100 years and how it has impacted life in the UAE. 

Read part four: an affection for classic cars lives on

Read part three: the age of the electric vehicle begins

Read part one: how cars came to the UAE

 

Company profile

Company name: Suraasa

Started: 2018

Founders: Rishabh Khanna, Ankit Khanna and Sahil Makker

Based: India, UAE and the UK

Industry: EdTech

Initial investment: More than $200,000 in seed funding

UAE currency: the story behind the money in your pockets
Infiniti QX80 specs

Engine: twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6

Power: 450hp

Torque: 700Nm

Price: From Dh450,000, Autograph model from Dh510,000

Available: Now

Hamilton’s 2017

Australia - 2nd; China - 1st; Bahrain - 2nd; Russia - 4th; Spain - 1st; Monaco - 7th; Canada - 1st; Azerbaijan - 5th; Austria - 4th; Britain - 1st; Hungary - 4th; Belgium - 1st; Italy - 1st; Singapore - 1st; Malaysia - 2nd; Japan - 1st; United States - 1st; Mexico - 9th

Israel Palestine on Swedish TV 1958-1989

Director: Goran Hugo Olsson

Rating: 5/5

Defending champions

World Series: South Africa
Women’s World Series: Australia
Gulf Men’s League: Dubai Exiles
Gulf Men’s Social: Mediclinic Barrelhouse Warriors
Gulf Vets: Jebel Ali Dragons Veterans
Gulf Women: Dubai Sports City Eagles
Gulf Under 19: British School Al Khubairat
Gulf Under 19 Girls: Dubai Exiles
UAE National Schools: Al Safa School
International Invitational: Speranza 22
International Vets: Joining Jack

The bio

Studied up to grade 12 in Vatanappally, a village in India’s southern Thrissur district

Was a middle distance state athletics champion in school

Enjoys driving to Fujairah and Ras Al Khaimah with family

His dream is to continue working as a social worker and help people

Has seven diaries in which he has jotted down notes about his work and money he earned

Keeps the diaries in his car to remember his journey in the Emirates

ABU%20DHABI'S%20KEY%20TOURISM%20GOALS%3A%20BY%20THE%20NUMBERS
%3Cp%3EBy%202030%2C%20Abu%20Dhabi%20aims%20to%20achieve%3A%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%80%A2%2039.3%20million%20visitors%2C%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20nearly%2064%25%20up%20from%202023%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%80%A2%20Dh90%20billion%20contribution%20to%20GDP%2C%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20about%2084%25%20more%20than%20Dh49%20billion%20in%202023%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%80%A2%20178%2C000%20new%20jobs%2C%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20bringing%20the%20total%20to%20about%20366%2C000%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%80%A2%2052%2C000%20hotel%20rooms%2C%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20up%2053%25%20from%2034%2C000%20in%202023%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%80%A2%207.2%20million%20international%20visitors%2C%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20almost%2090%25%20higher%20compared%20to%202023's%203.8%20million%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%80%A2%203.9%20international%20overnight%20hotel%20stays%2C%3C%2Fstrong%3E%2022%25%20more%20from%203.2%20nights%20in%202023%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
Our family matters legal consultant

Name: Hassan Mohsen Elhais

Position: legal consultant with Al Rowaad Advocates and Legal Consultants.

Charlotte Gainsbourg

Rest

(Because Music)

The years Ramadan fell in May

1987

1954

1921

1888

Why are asylum seekers being housed in hotels?

The number of asylum applications in the UK has reached a new record high, driven by those illegally entering the country in small boats crossing the English Channel.

A total of 111,084 people applied for asylum in the UK in the year to June 2025, the highest number for any 12-month period since current records began in 2001.

Asylum seekers and their families can be housed in temporary accommodation while their claim is assessed.

The Home Office provides the accommodation, meaning asylum seekers cannot choose where they live.

When there is not enough housing, the Home Office can move people to hotels or large sites like former military bases.

Updated: May 24, 2023, 10:12 AM`