Toronto Eaton Centre, during a lockdown in the Canadian city in November. AFP
Toronto Eaton Centre, during a lockdown in the Canadian city in November. AFP
Toronto Eaton Centre, during a lockdown in the Canadian city in November. AFP
Toronto Eaton Centre, during a lockdown in the Canadian city in November. AFP

Canadian doctors battle third wave as virus variants spread


Willy Lowry
  • English
  • Arabic

Dr Chris Murray is tired. The hospital physician has been in the trenches of Canada’s fight against Covid-19 for over a year and he’s worried the worst may be ahead of him.

During his latest shift at Montfort Hospital in Ottawa, Ontario, he and his colleagues saw the most admissions for Covid-19 since the pandemic began.

Most alarming to Dr Murray is the age of his new patients. He said he’s seeing people in their late twenties and early thirties, which was not the case in previous waves.

"I saw a person in their early thirties who didn't have any underlying health conditions, who actually had to go to the intensive care unit because of respiratory distress," Dr Murray told The National.

He attributes the situation to the coronavirus variants that have become prevalent in Canada, though he did not know which ones had infected his most recent patients.

More transmissible variants including B117, first identified in England, and P1, known as the Brazil variant, have been detected in Canada.

Ontario, its largest province, has been hit especially hard in recent days by surging cases.

On Sunday, Ontario reported 4,456 new cases, a single-day record. The province’s rolling seven-day average of new cases is 3,767 per day which is 1,000 more per day than was recorded last week.

With the influx of younger, sicker patients than seen previously, Canadian hospitals and their medical staff are overwhelmed.

“As we are seeing fewer and fewer critical care beds, we’re having to look and face the real possibility of what’s called the ‘critical care triage protocol’ where we will have to use this kind of ethical framework to help to decide who will then have access to these critical care resources,” Dr Murray said.

Dr Chris Murray, a hospital physician at Montfort Hospital in Ottawa, Ontario said he's seen more Covid-19 patients in the last week than at any other time since the pandemic began. Courtesy of Chris Murray
Dr Chris Murray, a hospital physician at Montfort Hospital in Ottawa, Ontario said he's seen more Covid-19 patients in the last week than at any other time since the pandemic began. Courtesy of Chris Murray

Resources stretched to their limits

Many hospitals in Canada are already at capacity.

In Ontario, elective, or non-essential, surgery has been postponed to free up space.

Sick Kids, a children’s hospital in Toronto, has opened its intensive care unit to adults. A hospital representative said it had seven adults in ICU beds already and expected more by Monday evening.

“In Ontario we’re seeing extraordinary pressure on our critical care system unlike any that we’ve seen in any other part of the pandemic,” said Jean-Paul Soucy, a doctoral student in epidemiology at the University of Toronto.

Mr Soucy is a co-founder of the Covid-19 Canada Open Data Working Group, which tracks cases across the country.

“April is going to be incredibly tough, even if we turn around the case numbers tomorrow, because you already have a lot of people who are infected and who are getting to where their situation deteriorates and they’re going to end up in the hospital or ICU,” he said.

Sophie Tache-Green, an emergency and intensive care nurse in Toronto, said the dramatic influx of cases had put hospitals and staff under enormous pressure.

Sophie Tache-Green is an Emergency Department and ICU nurse in Toronto. Courtesy Sophie Tache-Green.
Sophie Tache-Green is an Emergency Department and ICU nurse in Toronto. Courtesy Sophie Tache-Green.

“You have patients showing up to the waiting room who are confirmed positive for Covid and we have nowhere to put them because all of our beds are full. That is very challenging,” she said.

Ms Tache-Green said that in the past month, she and her colleagues have had to take on more patients than usual.

“Because of the numbers, we’re very often on a ‘critical care bed alert’, meaning all of the critical care beds are full, there’s a lot more doubling up, meaning you’ll have two patients, which is really exhausting.”

Canadians urged to remain vigilant

On Friday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pleaded with Canada’s younger generation to take the variants seriously.

“Even if you’re younger you can get sick very, very quickly, or you can give the virus to someone you love who can get very sick,” Prime Minister Trudeau said. “I know you have already done so much and sacrificed so much, but we just need you to hang in there a little bit longer.”

It’s a message echoed by doctors across the country.

“We’re still in it. This is still a global pandemic and I know we all want that quick fix and we all want to get back to our lives, but we still have to be quite diligent and stay home if we can,” said Dr Jason Freder, who works at a community hospital in Delta, British Columbia.

Dr Jason Freder, an emergency medical physician in Delta, British Columbia has noticed more and more young people coming in with Covid-19. Courtesy Jason Freder.
Dr Jason Freder, an emergency medical physician in Delta, British Columbia has noticed more and more young people coming in with Covid-19. Courtesy Jason Freder.

Like Dr Murray, he’s seen a rise in cases among his patients in the 18 to 55 age group.

“We really do need to hunker down more and people need to recognise that this is quite different now than it was before,” Dr Murray said of the third wave.

Ms Tache-Green wants people to understand that the repercussions from this third wave will be felt for many months to come, even after cases have gone down.

“We had a patient who came in in December who many people [at the hospital] didn’t see recovering and last week they were discharged from the ICU and had made a huge recovery. So that makes us very hopeful, but it’s also kind of terrifying because with this third wave, [with] all of the people coming into ICUs, these won’t be quick turnarounds,” she said.

“You either lose someone, which is terrible, or they stay in the ICU for months and that’s an ICU bed that doesn’t open up for other patients to come into ... The repercussions will be felt for a very long time.”

Greatest of All Time
Starring: Vijay, Sneha, Prashanth, Prabhu Deva, Mohan
Director: Venkat Prabhu
Rating: 2/5
Lexus LX700h specs

Engine: 3.4-litre twin-turbo V6 plus supplementary electric motor

Power: 464hp at 5,200rpm

Torque: 790Nm from 2,000-3,600rpm

Transmission: 10-speed auto

Fuel consumption: 11.7L/100km

On sale: Now

Price: From Dh590,000

Dhadak 2

Director: Shazia Iqbal

Starring: Siddhant Chaturvedi, Triptii Dimri 

Rating: 1/5

SPECS
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EEngine%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%201.5-litre%204-cylinder%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EPower%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20101hp%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3ETorque%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20135Nm%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3ETransmission%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3A%20Six-speed%20auto%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EPrice%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20From%20Dh79%2C900%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EOn%20sale%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Now%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
The specs

Engine: 2.0-litre 4-cylturbo

Transmission: seven-speed DSG automatic

Power: 242bhp

Torque: 370Nm

Price: Dh136,814

Turning%20waste%20into%20fuel
%3Cp%3EAverage%20amount%20of%20biofuel%20produced%20at%20DIC%20factory%20every%20month%3A%20%3Cstrong%3EApproximately%20106%2C000%20litres%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3EAmount%20of%20biofuel%20produced%20from%201%20litre%20of%20used%20cooking%20oil%3A%20%3Cstrong%3E920ml%20(92%25)%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3ETime%20required%20for%20one%20full%20cycle%20of%20production%20from%20used%20cooking%20oil%20to%20biofuel%3A%20%3Cstrong%3EOne%20day%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3EEnergy%20requirements%20for%20one%20cycle%20of%20production%20from%201%2C000%20litres%20of%20used%20cooking%20oil%3A%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3E%E2%96%AA%20Electricity%20-%201.1904%20units%3Cbr%3E%E2%96%AA%20Water-%2031%20litres%3Cbr%3E%E2%96%AA%20Diesel%20%E2%80%93%2026.275%20litres%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
The National's picks

4.35pm: Tilal Al Khalediah
5.10pm: Continous
5.45pm: Raging Torrent
6.20pm: West Acre
7pm: Flood Zone
7.40pm: Straight No Chaser
8.15pm: Romantic Warrior
8.50pm: Calandogan
9.30pm: Forever Young

Attacks on Egypt’s long rooted Copts

Egypt’s Copts belong to one of the world’s oldest Christian communities, with Mark the Evangelist credited with founding their church around 300 AD. Orthodox Christians account for the overwhelming majority of Christians in Egypt, with the rest mainly made up of Greek Orthodox, Catholics and Anglicans.

The community accounts for some 10 per cent of Egypt’s 100 million people, with the largest concentrations of Christians found in Cairo, Alexandria and the provinces of Minya and Assiut south of Cairo.

Egypt’s Christians have had a somewhat turbulent history in the Muslim majority Arab nation, with the community occasionally suffering outright persecution but generally living in peace with their Muslim compatriots. But radical Muslims who have first emerged in the 1970s have whipped up anti-Christian sentiments, something that has, in turn, led to an upsurge in attacks against their places of worship, church-linked facilities as well as their businesses and homes.

More recently, ISIS has vowed to go after the Christians, claiming responsibility for a series of attacks against churches packed with worshippers starting December 2016.

The discrimination many Christians complain about and the shift towards religious conservatism by many Egyptian Muslims over the last 50 years have forced hundreds of thousands of Christians to migrate, starting new lives in growing communities in places as far afield as Australia, Canada and the United States.

Here is a look at major attacks against Egypt's Coptic Christians in recent years:

November 2: Masked gunmen riding pickup trucks opened fire on three buses carrying pilgrims to the remote desert monastery of St. Samuel the Confessor south of Cairo, killing 7 and wounding about 20. IS claimed responsibility for the attack.

May 26, 2017: Masked militants riding in three all-terrain cars open fire on a bus carrying pilgrims on their way to the Monastery of St. Samuel the Confessor, killing 29 and wounding 22. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

April 2017Twin attacks by suicide bombers hit churches in the coastal city of Alexandria and the Nile Delta city of Tanta. At least 43 people are killed and scores of worshippers injured in the Palm Sunday attack, which narrowly missed a ceremony presided over by Pope Tawadros II, spiritual leader of Egypt Orthodox Copts, in Alexandria's St. Mark's Cathedral. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks.

February 2017: Hundreds of Egyptian Christians flee their homes in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula, fearing attacks by ISIS. The group's North Sinai affiliate had killed at least seven Coptic Christians in the restive peninsula in less than a month.

December 2016A bombing at a chapel adjacent to Egypt's main Coptic Christian cathedral in Cairo kills 30 people and wounds dozens during Sunday Mass in one of the deadliest attacks carried out against the religious minority in recent memory. ISIS claimed responsibility.

July 2016Pope Tawadros II says that since 2013 there were 37 sectarian attacks on Christians in Egypt, nearly one incident a month. A Muslim mob stabs to death a 27-year-old Coptic Christian man, Fam Khalaf, in the central city of Minya over a personal feud.

May 2016: A Muslim mob ransacks and torches seven Christian homes in Minya after rumours spread that a Christian man had an affair with a Muslim woman. The elderly mother of the Christian man was stripped naked and dragged through a street by the mob.

New Year's Eve 2011A bomb explodes in a Coptic Christian church in Alexandria as worshippers leave after a midnight mass, killing more than 20 people.

Pharaoh's curse

British aristocrat Lord Carnarvon, who funded the expedition to find the Tutankhamun tomb, died in a Cairo hotel four months after the crypt was opened.
He had been in poor health for many years after a car crash, and a mosquito bite made worse by a shaving cut led to blood poisoning and pneumonia.
Reports at the time said Lord Carnarvon suffered from “pain as the inflammation affected the nasal passages and eyes”.
Decades later, scientists contended he had died of aspergillosis after inhaling spores of the fungus aspergillus in the tomb, which can lie dormant for months. The fact several others who entered were also found dead withiin a short time led to the myth of the curse.

What sanctions would be reimposed?

Under ‘snapback’, measures imposed on Iran by the UN Security Council in six resolutions would be restored, including:

  • An arms embargo
  • A ban on uranium enrichment and reprocessing
  • A ban on launches and other activities with ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons, as well as ballistic missile technology transfer and technical assistance
  • A targeted global asset freeze and travel ban on Iranian individuals and entities
  • Authorisation for countries to inspect Iran Air Cargo and Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines cargoes for banned goods
AI traffic lights to ease congestion at seven points to Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Street

The seven points are:

Shakhbout bin Sultan Street

Dhafeer Street

Hadbat Al Ghubainah Street (outbound)

Salama bint Butti Street

Al Dhafra Street

Rabdan Street

Umm Yifina Street exit (inbound)

Key findings of Jenkins report
  • Founder of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hassan al Banna, "accepted the political utility of violence"
  • Views of key Muslim Brotherhood ideologue, Sayyid Qutb, have “consistently been understood” as permitting “the use of extreme violence in the pursuit of the perfect Islamic society” and “never been institutionally disowned” by the movement.
  • Muslim Brotherhood at all levels has repeatedly defended Hamas attacks against Israel, including the use of suicide bombers and the killing of civilians.
  • Laying out the report in the House of Commons, David Cameron told MPs: "The main findings of the review support the conclusion that membership of, association with, or influence by the Muslim Brotherhood should be considered as a possible indicator of extremism."
UAE v Gibraltar

What: International friendly

When: 7pm kick off

Where: Rugby Park, Dubai Sports City

Admission: Free

Online: The match will be broadcast live on Dubai Exiles’ Facebook page

UAE squad: Lucas Waddington (Dubai Exiles), Gio Fourie (Exiles), Craig Nutt (Abu Dhabi Harlequins), Phil Brady (Harlequins), Daniel Perry (Dubai Hurricanes), Esekaia Dranibota (Harlequins), Matt Mills (Exiles), Jaen Botes (Exiles), Kristian Stinson (Exiles), Murray Reason (Abu Dhabi Saracens), Dave Knight (Hurricanes), Ross Samson (Jebel Ali Dragons), DuRandt Gerber (Exiles), Saki Naisau (Dragons), Andrew Powell (Hurricanes), Emosi Vacanau (Harlequins), Niko Volavola (Dragons), Matt Richards (Dragons), Luke Stevenson (Harlequins), Josh Ives (Dubai Sports City Eagles), Sean Stevens (Saracens), Thinus Steyn (Exiles)

Austrian Grand Prix race timings

Weekend schedule for Austrian Grand Prix - all timings UAE

Friday

Noon-1.30pm First practice

4-5.30pm Second practice

Saturday

1-2pm Final practice

4pm Qualifying

Sunday

4pm Austrian Grand Prix (71 laps)

Countdown to Zero exhibition will show how disease can be beaten

Countdown to Zero: Defeating Disease, an international multimedia exhibition created by the American Museum of National History in collaboration with The Carter Center, will open in Abu Dhabi a  month before Reaching the Last Mile.

Opening on October 15 and running until November 15, the free exhibition opens at The Galleria mall on Al Maryah Island, and has already been seen at the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum in Atlanta, the American Museum of Natural History in New York, and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

 

Know before you go
  • Jebel Akhdar is a two-hour drive from Muscat airport or a six-hour drive from Dubai. It’s impossible to visit by car unless you have a 4x4. Phone ahead to the hotel to arrange a transfer.
  • If you’re driving, make sure your insurance covers Oman.
  • By air: Budget airlines Air Arabia, Flydubai and SalamAir offer direct routes to Muscat from the UAE.
  • Tourists from the Emirates (UAE nationals not included) must apply for an Omani visa online before arrival at evisa.rop.gov.om. The process typically takes several days.
  • Flash floods are probable due to the terrain and a lack of drainage. Always check the weather before venturing into any canyons or other remote areas and identify a plan of escape that includes high ground, shelter and parking where your car won’t be overtaken by sudden downpours.

 

Red flags
  • Promises of high, fixed or 'guaranteed' returns.
  • Unregulated structured products or complex investments often used to bypass traditional safeguards.
  • Lack of clear information, vague language, no access to audited financials.
  • Overseas companies targeting investors in other jurisdictions - this can make legal recovery difficult.
  • Hard-selling tactics - creating urgency, offering 'exclusive' deals.

Courtesy: Carol Glynn, founder of Conscious Finance Coaching