Nearly 20,000 families have been forced to flee their homes in Kunduz after the Taliban launched an assault on the northern Afghan province in April. Shah Marai / AFP / May 21, 2015
Nearly 20,000 families have been forced to flee their homes in Kunduz after the Taliban launched an assault on the northern Afghan province in April. Shah Marai / AFP / May 21, 2015

Taliban assault on Kunduz ends in hollow victory for Afghans



KABUL // After the Taliban came close to capturing the northern Afghan province of Kunduz two months ago, Farida Ahmad cast her mind back to better times.

In the early years of the US-led war, security was good and there were plenty of opportunities for enterprising women. Now, more than a decade later, caught between an emboldened insurgency and the lawless behaviour of pro-government militias, the aid organisation she runs is struggling to survive and she is scared whenever she leaves the house.

“It is not like the past, when we would participate in meetings and women would gather to meet and make plans. Now all of that is finished,” she said.

Kunduz lies on the Afghan border with Tajikistan and in late April it appeared to be on the brink of falling to the most ambitious Taliban offensive on a province since the war began. The assault sparked panic in the government, which sent reinforcements north from elsewhere in the country.

Amid widespread talk that senior officials in the provincial capital were about to flee for their lives, the city itself was saved from collapse. However, it was nothing more than a hollow victory, residents told The National.

Surrounding districts are still wracked by violence and families have not been able to return to their homes. The optimism of a decade ago is now gone.

The history of Kunduz since the 2001 US-led invasion mirrors the history of the war itself. Despite being far from the insurgent heartlands of southern and eastern Afghanistan, the province has a chequered past of hope and despair.

The provincial capital was the last city in the north to be held by the Taliban regime. Besieged by the Northern Alliance, hundreds of foreign fighters found themselves cornered, though some were evacuated by the Pakistan government.

When the city eventually fell, brutal reprisals were carried out against captured Taliban and suspected sympathisers before a relative calm settled over the region.

Under the Nato mission, German soldiers arrived in Kunduz in October 2003 expecting to see little combat. But by the end of the decade security had begun to deteriorate and in September 2009 a German-ordered airstrike in the province killed up to 142 people, most of them civilians.

The subsequent deployment of US forces to Kunduz as part of a nationwide surge failed to bring long-term security. Now, with most foreign combat troops withdrawn from Afghanistan, the bloodshed is rising.

“When the Taliban reached the gates of the city all the people were very scared, sad and worried,” said Ms Ahmad, whose name has been changed to protect her identity.

Like most Afghan women who work for aid organisations, she is used to taking risks. When the Taliban regime prevented girls from going to school in Kunduz, she ran underground maths, English and computer classes for them. Today she is so concerned about the situation she wants her real name withheld.

Before security began to deteriorate, her NGO had 300 women in one of its tailoring courses. Today that number has dropped to 50 and Ms Ahmad lives on her own, having persuaded the rest of her family to leave Kunduz.

She told The National violence had been escalating since the build-up to last year’s presidential election. Even in the city, any women leaving their house to get an education now do so “with a lot of concern”, she said.

Kunduz residents say the insurgents are only partly to blame for the insecurity.

Militias that were established in the province under US sponsorship to bolster the conventional security forces have been added to by the Afghan government since the Taliban offensive. It has mobilised hundreds of fighters to serve on its behalf under former mujaheddin commanders, and both these fighters and the Taliban are now being accused of extortion in rural areas, demanding money from people in the guise of religious taxes.

Abdul Zahir, a former army colonel and head of a council that works towards tribal unity in Kunduz, said villagers were tired of being intimidated.

“Behind each commander of a militia is a big politician in the central government,” he explained. “This is our main problem. If you complain again and again, it reaches that big politician and he will strengthen his support for them. These militias who operate here are not simple men that provincial officials can control or stop. They all belong to the big politicians in Kabul.”

With a diverse population that includes ethnic Pashtuns, Uzbeks and Tajiks, residents say communities are being played off against each other and left with no choice but to take sides. They said the insurgents came to within just a few kilometres of the city centre during the offensive.

The UN said that as of May 21, about 18,350 families in Kunduz had asked the authorities to be considered as internally displaced and in need of emergency assistance. It said the Taliban’s offensive and the government’s military response had caused people to leave their homes.

Kunduz’s position as a potential gateway to and from central Asia makes it an attractive target for insurgents and the government has claimed that foreign militants linked to ISIL were involved in the recent unrest. Images showing Taliban fighters driving in vehicles allegedly captured from the security forces have since been posted on social media.

Abdul Ahad Torial Kakar, a provincial councillor, said the situation would improve, but only after all sides had extorted more money from the poorest and weakest members of society.

“The oppression is not only being done by the militias,” he said. “It is being done by them all – the government and the insurgents – against the nation.”

foreign.desk@thenational.ae

How to apply for a drone permit
  • Individuals must register on UAE Drone app or website using their UAE Pass
  • Add all their personal details, including name, nationality, passport number, Emiratis ID, email and phone number
  • Upload the training certificate from a centre accredited by the GCAA
  • Submit their request
What are the regulations?
  • Fly it within visual line of sight
  • Never over populated areas
  • Ensure maximum flying height of 400 feet (122 metres) above ground level is not crossed
  • Users must avoid flying over restricted areas listed on the UAE Drone app
  • Only fly the drone during the day, and never at night
  • Should have a live feed of the drone flight
  • Drones must weigh 5 kg or less
CHATGPT%20ENTERPRISE%20FEATURES
%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Enterprise-grade%20security%20and%20privacy%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Unlimited%20higher-speed%20GPT-4%20access%20with%20no%20caps%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Longer%20context%20windows%20for%20processing%20longer%20inputs%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Advanced%20data%20analysis%20capabilities%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Customisation%20options%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Shareable%20chat%20templates%20that%20companies%20can%20use%20to%20collaborate%20and%20build%20common%20workflows%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Analytics%20dashboard%20for%20usage%20insights%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%E2%80%A2%20Free%20credits%20to%20use%20OpenAI%20APIs%20to%20extend%20OpenAI%20into%20a%20fully-custom%20solution%20for%20enterprises%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
Mountain%20Boy
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EDirector%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Zainab%20Shaheen%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EStarring%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Naser%20Al%20Messabi%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ERating%3C%2Fstrong%3E%3A%203%2F5%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
In numbers: PKK’s money network in Europe

Germany: PKK collectors typically bring in $18 million in cash a year – amount has trebled since 2010

Revolutionary tax: Investigators say about $2 million a year raised from ‘tax collection’ around Marseille

Extortion: Gunman convicted in 2023 of demanding $10,000 from Kurdish businessman in Stockholm

Drug trade: PKK income claimed by Turkish anti-drugs force in 2024 to be as high as $500 million a year

Denmark: PKK one of two terrorist groups along with Iranian separatists ASMLA to raise “two-digit million amounts”

Contributions: Hundreds of euros expected from typical Kurdish families and thousands from business owners

TV channel: Kurdish Roj TV accounts frozen and went bankrupt after Denmark fined it more than $1 million over PKK links in 2013 

German intelligence warnings
  • 2002: "Hezbollah supporters feared becoming a target of security services because of the effects of [9/11] ... discussions on Hezbollah policy moved from mosques into smaller circles in private homes." Supporters in Germany: 800
  • 2013: "Financial and logistical support from Germany for Hezbollah in Lebanon supports the armed struggle against Israel ... Hezbollah supporters in Germany hold back from actions that would gain publicity." Supporters in Germany: 950
  • 2023: "It must be reckoned with that Hezbollah will continue to plan terrorist actions outside the Middle East against Israel or Israeli interests." Supporters in Germany: 1,250 

Source: Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution

UAE cricketers abroad

Sid Jhurani is not the first cricketer from the UAE to go to the UK to try his luck.

Rameez Shahzad Played alongside Ben Stokes and Liam Plunkett in Durham while he was studying there. He also played club cricket as an overseas professional, but his time in the UK stunted his UAE career. The batsman went a decade without playing for the national team.

Yodhin Punja The seam bowler was named in the UAE’s extended World Cup squad in 2015 despite being just 15 at the time. He made his senior UAE debut aged 16, and subsequently took up a scholarship at Claremont High School in the south of England.

Ms Yang's top tips for parents new to the UAE
  1. Join parent networks
  2. Look beyond school fees
  3. Keep an open mind
A MINECRAFT MOVIE

Director: Jared Hess

Starring: Jack Black, Jennifer Coolidge, Jason Momoa

Rating: 3/5

Best Foreign Language Film nominees

Capernaum (Lebanon)

Cold War (Poland)

Never Look Away (Germany)

Roma (Mexico)

Shoplifters (Japan)

Key facilities
  • Olympic-size swimming pool with a split bulkhead for multi-use configurations, including water polo and 50m/25m training lanes
  • Premier League-standard football pitch
  • 400m Olympic running track
  • NBA-spec basketball court with auditorium
  • 600-seat auditorium
  • Spaces for historical and cultural exploration
  • An elevated football field that doubles as a helipad
  • Specialist robotics and science laboratories
  • AR and VR-enabled learning centres
  • Disruption Lab and Research Centre for developing entrepreneurial skills
%E2%80%98FSO%20Safer%E2%80%99%20-%20a%20ticking%20bomb
%3Cp%3EThe%20%3Cem%3ESafer%3C%2Fem%3E%20has%20been%20moored%20off%20the%20Yemeni%20coast%20of%20Ras%20Issa%20since%201988.%3Cbr%3EThe%20Houthis%20have%20been%20blockading%20UN%20efforts%20to%20inspect%20and%20maintain%20the%20vessel%20since%202015%2C%20when%20the%20war%20between%20the%20group%20and%20the%20Yemen%20government%2C%20backed%20by%20the%20Saudi-led%20coalition%20began.%3Cbr%3ESince%20then%2C%20a%20handful%20of%20people%20acting%20as%20a%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ae%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D%26ved%3D2ahUKEwiw2OfUuKr4AhVBuKQKHTTzB7cQFnoECB4QAQ%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.thenationalnews.com%252Fworld%252Fmena%252Fyemen-s-floating-bomb-tanker-millions-kept-safe-by-skeleton-crew-1.1104713%26usg%3DAOvVaw0t9FPiRsx7zK7aEYgc65Ad%22%20target%3D%22_self%22%3Eskeleton%20crew%3C%2Fa%3E%2C%20have%20performed%20rudimentary%20maintenance%20work%20to%20keep%20the%20%3Cem%3ESafer%3C%2Fem%3E%20intact.%3Cbr%3EThe%20%3Cem%3ESafer%3C%2Fem%3E%20is%20connected%20to%20a%20pipeline%20from%20the%20oil-rich%20city%20of%20Marib%2C%20and%20was%20once%20a%20hub%20for%20the%20storage%20and%20export%20of%20crude%20oil.%26nbsp%3B%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3EThe%20%3Cem%3ESafer%3C%2Fem%3E%E2%80%99s%20environmental%20and%20humanitarian%20impact%20may%20extend%20well%20beyond%20Yemen%2C%20experts%20believe%2C%20into%20the%20surrounding%20waters%20of%20Saudi%20Arabia%2C%20Djibouti%20and%20Eritrea%2C%20impacting%20marine-life%20and%20vital%20infrastructure%20like%20desalination%20plans%20and%20fishing%20ports.%C2%A0%3C%2Fp%3E%0A