Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu gives a press conference in Ankara on July 25. AFP Photo
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu gives a press conference in Ankara on July 25. AFP Photo

Parts of northern Syria to become ‘safe zone’: Turkish FM



ANKARA // Swathes of northern Syria cleared of ISIL militants will become a “safe zone”, Turkey’s foreign minister said on Saturday, after Turkish warplanes pounded militant positions in a series of strikes.

“When areas in northern Syria are cleared of the (ISIL) threat, the safe zones will be formed naturally,” Mevlut Cavusoglu told a news conference.

“We have always defended safe zones and no-fly zones in Syria. People who have been displaced can be placed in those safe zones.”

Meanwhile, Turkish forces unleashed a third wave of air strikes and ground attacks on ISIL targets in Syria and Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said.

“We have given instructions for a third series of strikes in Syria and Iraq. Air and ground operations are under way,” Mr Davutoglu told reporters in Ankara.

“No one should doubt out determination,” he added. “We will not allow Turkey to be turned into a lawless country.”

Turkey had early on Saturday carried out a second wave of the air strikes it says are aimed at extinguishing terror threats, this time hitting not just ISIL targets in Syria but also Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) targets in northern Iraq.

Its ground forces had also carried out artillery strikes on PKK targets in northern Iraq and ISIL targets in Syria.

Mr Davutoglu said he had earlier Saturday spoken to Massoud Barzani, the president of the Kurdish-ruled autonomous region in northern Iraq, to explain the attacks on the PKK.

He said that Mr Barzani had agreed Turkey had a right to undertake an operation against the PKK and had expressed his “solidarity”.

Mr Davutoglu said a total 590 suspected members of IS, PKK and other militant groups had also been arrested in raids across Turkey that began on Friday morning and continued Saturday.

He said they were being held in custody on the grounds of links to terror groups and presenting a threat to the state.

* Reuters, Agence France-Presse

New process leads to panic among jobseekers

As a UAE-based travel agent who processes tourist visas from the Philippines, Jennifer Pacia Gado is fielding a lot of calls from concerned travellers just now. And they are all asking the same question.  

“My clients are mostly Filipinos, and they [all want to know] about good conduct certificates,” says the 34-year-old Filipina, who has lived in the UAE for five years.

Ms Gado contacted the Philippines Embassy to get more information on the certificate so she can share it with her clients. She says many are worried about the process and associated costs – which could be as high as Dh500 to obtain and attest a good conduct certificate from the Philippines for jobseekers already living in the UAE. 

“They are worried about this because when they arrive here without the NBI [National Bureau of Investigation] clearance, it is a hassle because it takes time,” she says.

“They need to go first to the embassy to apply for the application of the NBI clearance. After that they have go to the police station [in the UAE] for the fingerprints. And then they will apply for the special power of attorney so that someone can finish the process in the Philippines. So it is a long process and more expensive if you are doing it from here.”

The rules on fostering in the UAE

A foster couple or family must:

  • be Muslim, Emirati and be residing in the UAE
  • not be younger than 25 years old
  • not have been convicted of offences or crimes involving moral turpitude
  • be free of infectious diseases or psychological and mental disorders
  • have the ability to support its members and the foster child financially
  • undertake to treat and raise the child in a proper manner and take care of his or her health and well-being
  • A single, divorced or widowed Muslim Emirati female, residing in the UAE may apply to foster a child if she is at least 30 years old and able to support the child financially