Jordan picks up the pieces after attack on convoy


  • English
  • Arabic

AMMAN // Jordan said yesterday it was interrogating several suspects after a roadside bomb attack on a convoy of Israeli diplomats heading back to Tel Aviv. Nobody was injured in the attack on Thursday night as two cars carrying three diplomats travelled from Amman to the King Hussein Bridge, which connects Jordan to the West Bank.

Local media reported that security services had cordoned off the area and were questioning suspects. One taxi driver is believed to have been arrested in connection with the bombing. No group or person has claimed responsibility, but it has already sparked some concern that al Qa'eda was trying to extend its reach. For Jordan, which prides itself on vigilant security, especially for foreigners, it was a blow.

A senior security official said those behind the attacks were sending a message that they were capable of breaching Jordan's security. The country provides round-the-clock protection for foreign diplomats, and the convoy had its usual escorted of Jordanian officers. "The attack has exposed a security breach that enabled the attackers to accurately target the Israeli diplomatic convoy," said the official who was quoted in Alghad daily. "It is likely that there are parties with intelligence capabilities like Hamas or Hizbollah or Jihad movements or a group of men who operate under an unknown organisation.

"Al Qa'eda may have wanted to send a quick message to Jordan that it can target its security - in its desire to establish a presence that capitalises on the growing hatred towards Israelis." Jordan was the second country after Egypt to seal a peace treaty with the Jewish state, doing so in 1994, but public resentment over Israel's continued oppression of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza has strained relations.

"It was an attempted attack on Jordanian soil which is quite an unusual event compared to the surrounding countries," said Mouin Rabbani, a senior Middle East analyst based in Amman. "These people were at least able to attempt to hit a moving target which means that they appear to have had some information about when this convoy would be passing." It was the first time that a roadside bomb has been used in a suspected terror attack in Jordan. The explosion ripped through the right side of a curvy road cutting through hilly villages on the western outskirts of Amman, leaving a crater about one metre deep.

Suleiman Ghneimat, a retired military official, said the attack, although it did not cause any fatalities or damage, was a sign that Jordan needs to to step up its antiterror efforts. "The incident is a bad message for Jordan. This calls for more co-operation with all parties that are working to fight terror to put an end to those corrupt practices," he said. Last year, Jordan's state security court sentenced three citizens who it said were members of Hamas to up to five years in jail after convicting them of taking photos of the Israeli Embassy in Amman, including border posts along the Jordanian-Israeli border.

The botched attempt comes at a time when the country is dealing with the aftermath of a Jordanian suicide bomber who blew himself up at a US military base in Afghanistan two weeks ago killing seven CIA agents and his Jordanian handler. In 2005, al Qa'eda in Iraq said after its triple hotel blasts in Amman that one of the targets included a hotel known to be patronised by Israelis. smaayeh@thenational.ae

Key figures in the life of the fort

Sheikh Dhiyab bin Isa (ruled 1761-1793) Built Qasr Al Hosn as a watchtower to guard over the only freshwater well on Abu Dhabi island.

Sheikh Shakhbut bin Dhiyab (ruled 1793-1816) Expanded the tower into a small fort and transferred his ruling place of residence from Liwa Oasis to the fort on the island.

Sheikh Tahnoon bin Shakhbut (ruled 1818-1833) Expanded Qasr Al Hosn further as Abu Dhabi grew from a small village of palm huts to a town of more than 5,000 inhabitants.

Sheikh Khalifa bin Shakhbut (ruled 1833-1845) Repaired and fortified the fort.

Sheikh Saeed bin Tahnoon (ruled 1845-1855) Turned Qasr Al Hosn into a strong two-storied structure.

Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa (ruled 1855-1909) Expanded Qasr Al Hosn further to reflect the emirate's increasing prominence.

Sheikh Shakhbut bin Sultan (ruled 1928-1966) Renovated and enlarged Qasr Al Hosn, adding a decorative arch and two new villas.

Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan (ruled 1966-2004) Moved the royal residence to Al Manhal palace and kept his diwan at Qasr Al Hosn.

Sources: Jayanti Maitra, www.adach.ae

Specs

Engine: 51.5kW electric motor

Range: 400km

Power: 134bhp

Torque: 175Nm

Price: From Dh98,800

Available: Now

The biog

Title: General Practitioner with a speciality in cardiology

Previous jobs: Worked in well-known hospitals Jaslok and Breach Candy in Mumbai, India

Education: Medical degree from the Government Medical College in Nagpur

How it all began: opened his first clinic in Ajman in 1993

Family: a 90-year-old mother, wife and two daughters

Remembers a time when medicines from India were purchased per kilo

Benefits of first-time home buyers' scheme
  • Priority access to new homes from participating developers
  • Discounts on sales price of off-plan units
  • Flexible payment plans from developers
  • Mortgages with better interest rates, faster approval times and reduced fees
  • DLD registration fee can be paid through banks or credit cards at zero interest rates
What sanctions would be reimposed?

Under ‘snapback’, measures imposed on Iran by the UN Security Council in six resolutions would be restored, including:

  • An arms embargo
  • A ban on uranium enrichment and reprocessing
  • A ban on launches and other activities with ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons, as well as ballistic missile technology transfer and technical assistance
  • A targeted global asset freeze and travel ban on Iranian individuals and entities
  • Authorisation for countries to inspect Iran Air Cargo and Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines cargoes for banned goods
Australia World Cup squad

Aaron Finch (capt), Usman Khawaja, David Warner, Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Jhye Richardson, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa

How to watch Ireland v Pakistan in UAE

When: The one-off Test starts on Friday, May 11
What time: Each day’s play is scheduled to start at 2pm UAE time.
TV: The match will be broadcast on OSN Sports Cricket HD. Subscribers to the channel can also stream the action live on OSN Play.

Key facilities
  • Olympic-size swimming pool with a split bulkhead for multi-use configurations, including water polo and 50m/25m training lanes
  • Premier League-standard football pitch
  • 400m Olympic running track
  • NBA-spec basketball court with auditorium
  • 600-seat auditorium
  • Spaces for historical and cultural exploration
  • An elevated football field that doubles as a helipad
  • Specialist robotics and science laboratories
  • AR and VR-enabled learning centres
  • Disruption Lab and Research Centre for developing entrepreneurial skills