Celta Vigo forward Nolito tracks the ball during his team's La Liga match against Getafe on Friday night. Miguel Riopa / AFP / October 2, 2015
Celta Vigo forward Nolito tracks the ball during his team's La Liga match against Getafe on Friday night. Miguel Riopa / AFP / October 2, 2015

‘Nolito is a good player’: Barcelona official already with eye on winter transfers?



Barcelona's technical director admits the club think Celta Vigo forward Nolito "is a good player" hinting at possible winter transfer window interest.

Barca currently cannot field their two summer signings – former Sevilla right back Aleix Vidal and ex-Atletico Madrid midfielder Arda Turan – until January, when a transfer ban imposed on the club by Fifa expires.

The punishment was handed down after the club breached rules regarding the signings of underage players.

Club technical director Roberto Fernandez has not ruled out making further reinforcements in the winter market.

“We have time to think what we want and if we need someone, which is the most important thing,” he said. “We are looking because it’s our duty to do so.

“The winter transfer market is never easy.”

Spanish forward Nolito appears one possibility, with Fernandez endorsing the 28-year-old Andalusian’s ability. The Celta Vigo forward has been linked to Barcelona, where he played with the B team from 2008-2011, since the summer.

Read more: The National's Transfer Talk page

He has scored five goals and set up three more in seven league starts for the Galician club.

“Nolito is a good player and he is proving that every Sunday,” Fernandez said.

Brazilian forward Neymar, meanwhile, will remain at Barca “for life” according Fernandez.

The 23-year-old underlined his status as one of the best players in his team last season when he scored 43 goals in all competitions as Barcelona won a La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League treble.

Neymar is tied to the European champions until June 2018 and Barca recently expressed their intention to reward the Brazil international with a new and improved deal that would reportedly make the player the second highest paid at the club after Lionel Messi.

"We are currently working on Neymar's contract extension and I don't think there will be any type of problem," Fernandez said, as reported in Marca.

“I have no doubt in my mind that Neymar will spend the rest of his life at Barcelona.”

Neymar was linked with Manchester United this summer, with reports in England claiming the club were prepared to spend £240 million (Dh1.4 billion) – £130m on the player’s buyout clause and the remainder on tying him to a long-term contract at Old Trafford.

The Brazil captain had been a target of United’s city rivals Manchester City and Chelsea two years earlier but the player opted to join Barca instead in the summer of 2013 when he moved from Santos.

Neymar has been even more important this season with Messi having hit the sidelines for a couple of months because of a knee injury.

Neymar has four goals in six La Liga appearances in the current campaign.

Barcelona know they must be patient and not bring Messi back before he has fully recovered.

“We cannot rush with Messi,” Fernandez said. “I’m certain that the predicted eight weeks of recovery will be met.

“I don’t believe one should ever force the recovery of a player.”

Barca have been marred by injuries, with Brazilian midfielder Rafinha ruled out for six months with knee ligament damage and captain Andres Iniesta sidelined with a hamstring problem.

“Injuries appear and we need to face them,” Fernandez said. “It’s part of the game.

“We could have had a better pre-season and unlike this summer, I don’t think next year we will go on a tour.”

Follow us on Twitter @NatSportUAE

NO OTHER LAND

Director: Basel Adra, Yuval Abraham, Rachel Szor, Hamdan Ballal

Stars: Basel Adra, Yuval Abraham

Rating: 3.5/5

Company profile

Date started: 2015

Founder: John Tsioris and Ioanna Angelidaki

Based: Dubai

Sector: Online grocery delivery

Staff: 200

Funding: Undisclosed, but investors include the Jabbar Internet Group and Venture Friends

hall of shame

SUNDERLAND 2002-03

No one has ended a Premier League season quite like Sunderland. They lost each of their final 15 games, taking no points after January. They ended up with 19 in total, sacking managers Peter Reid and Howard Wilkinson and losing 3-1 to Charlton when they scored three own goals in eight minutes.

SUNDERLAND 2005-06

Until Derby came along, Sunderland’s total of 15 points was the Premier League’s record low. They made it until May and their final home game before winning at the Stadium of Light while they lost a joint record 29 of their 38 league games.

HUDDERSFIELD 2018-19

Joined Derby as the only team to be relegated in March. No striker scored until January, while only two players got more assists than goalkeeper Jonas Lossl. The mid-season appointment Jan Siewert was to end his time as Huddersfield manager with a 5.3 per cent win rate.

ASTON VILLA 2015-16

Perhaps the most inexplicably bad season, considering they signed Idrissa Gueye and Adama Traore and still only got 17 points. Villa won their first league game, but none of the next 19. They ended an abominable campaign by taking one point from the last 39 available.

FULHAM 2018-19

Terrible in different ways. Fulham’s total of 26 points is not among the lowest ever but they contrived to get relegated after spending over £100 million (Dh457m) in the transfer market. Much of it went on defenders but they only kept two clean sheets in their first 33 games.

LA LIGA: Sporting Gijon, 13 points in 1997-98.

BUNDESLIGA: Tasmania Berlin, 10 points in 1965-66

In numbers: PKK’s money network in Europe

Germany: PKK collectors typically bring in $18 million in cash a year – amount has trebled since 2010

Revolutionary tax: Investigators say about $2 million a year raised from ‘tax collection’ around Marseille

Extortion: Gunman convicted in 2023 of demanding $10,000 from Kurdish businessman in Stockholm

Drug trade: PKK income claimed by Turkish anti-drugs force in 2024 to be as high as $500 million a year

Denmark: PKK one of two terrorist groups along with Iranian separatists ASMLA to raise “two-digit million amounts”

Contributions: Hundreds of euros expected from typical Kurdish families and thousands from business owners

TV channel: Kurdish Roj TV accounts frozen and went bankrupt after Denmark fined it more than $1 million over PKK links in 2013 

About Housecall

Date started: July 2020

Founders: Omar and Humaid Alzaabi

Based: Abu Dhabi

Sector: HealthTech

# of staff: 10

Funding to date: Self-funded

The Year Earth Changed

Directed by:Tom Beard

Narrated by: Sir David Attenborough

Stars: 4

Honeymoonish
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EDirector%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Elie%20El%20Samaan%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EStarring%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3ENour%20Al%20Ghandour%2C%20Mahmoud%20Boushahri%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ERating%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%203%2F5%3C%2Fp%3E%0A