Far-right protesters rioting in Belfast, Northern Ireland, last week. AP
Far-right protesters rioting in Belfast, Northern Ireland, last week. AP
Far-right protesters rioting in Belfast, Northern Ireland, last week. AP
Far-right protesters rioting in Belfast, Northern Ireland, last week. AP

Iraqi business owner to sell up after attack by far-right groups in Belfast


Tariq Tahir
  • English
  • Arabic

The Iraqi owner of a supermarket targeted during rioting in the UK says he is selling the business after a staff member was attacked.

Ali Wartty, 52, told The National he is scared to take his young children out of the house as the country braces itself for more far-right organised violence.

Footage circulating online shows rioters swarming around the Middle East Market in Belfast as staff tried to defend the store on Tuesday night.

Mr Wartty, who is based in England, said he has been in the UK for 22 years and opened the shop at the beginning of the year after investing £200,000.

“They attacked the shop and the staff and began beating them,” he said of the rioters. “One of the staff was injured and one of our customers was injured … so we’ve decided to close the shop.”

Ali Wartty, an Iraqi businessman whose shop in Belfast was targeted during the riots. Photo: Ali Wartty
Ali Wartty, an Iraqi businessman whose shop in Belfast was targeted during the riots. Photo: Ali Wartty

He said the store had been the target of low-level harassment since January but this had ramped up as youths copied the violence taking place in other UK cities.

“The situation is increasing and increasing until last night,” he said.

Other Arab-owned businesses were also caught up in the violence in the Falls Road and Sandy Row areas of the city.

Sam Yousef, a member of Belfast’s Syrian community, said: “It took us back to our home where we come from, the war zone in Syria.”

“We thought when we came here we were going to be safe, but when we saw this, it made us feel completely unsafe again,” he told Irish News.

Britain has been rocked by the continuing disorder that has seen more than 400 arrests, with a further 140 people charged with offences related to the riots.

Northern Ireland Secretary Hilary Benn said he was “shocked and angry” at the violence in Belfast over the past few days, claiming such scenes “do not represent Northern Ireland”.

Mr Benn said he had spoken to people across the affected area, including representatives of the Islamic centre, politicians, firefighters and business owners, some of whom said they had been targeted in their homes.

At a press conference at a community centre in the city, he said it was “really important” that people who are “shocked and angered and disgusted by what is happening speak up”.

A group of people come out in support of traders after an attack at a shop on the Falls Road in Belfast. PA
A group of people come out in support of traders after an attack at a shop on the Falls Road in Belfast. PA

Mr Wartty said he has run a number of businesses including other shops, a taxi firm and a carpet shop but had never experienced any problems.

He lives in Sheffield which has recently seen a large far-right protest and he said this has left him scared.

“We have been following the news and seen the situation across the country and people being attacked as foreigners,” Mr Wartty said.

“We don’t let our children, who are aged five and six, out at the moment and won’t until the situation has calmed down.”

He said he would try to sell some of the stock at the Belfast store before shutting it permanently at the weekend.

A police spokesperson said a large group of young people had been throwing eggs at the shop.

“During the incident, a young boy had been assaulted by up to 10 youths.

“He sustained a minor facial injury in this assault which is being treated as a hate crime.”

Abdelkader Mohamad Al Alloush, owner of the Sham Supermarket, on Donegall Road in Belfast. PA
Abdelkader Mohamad Al Alloush, owner of the Sham Supermarket, on Donegall Road in Belfast. PA

Police fear that far-right groups will cause even more disorder throughout Wednesday, with claims that 100 anti-immigrant protests were set to take place.

A police source told PA that Wednesday “was probably going to be the busiest day of the week”.

“Tonight, we think it’s looking like a credible picture. We are preparing for activity across 41 forces.”

Sir Mark Rowley, the head of the Metropolitan Police, said threats against immigration lawyers were “at the centre of our planning tonight”, adding: “We will not let the immigration asylum system be intimidated.”

A list of solicitors’ firms and advice agencies has been shared in chat groups as possible targets for disturbances, and the message invited people to “mask up” if they attend.

Britain prepares for further riots – in pictures

British courts have already handed out stiff sentences to protesters for their roles in the rioting.

Derek Drummond, 58, from Southport, Merseyside, was jailed for three years on Wednesday after he pleaded guilty to charges of violent disorder and assaulting an emergency worker during the unrest in Southport on July 30.

Two other men, Declan Geiran, 29, and Liam Riley, 40, received sentences of 30 months and 20 months respectively for their roles in disturbances in Liverpool on Saturday.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the sentences were an example of “the swift action we’re taking”, adding: “If you provoke violent disorder on our streets or online, you will face the full force of the law.”

Far-right protesters attacked mosques and began rioting across the country last week, following disinformation online about the identity of the person alleged to be responsible for killing three children in Southport.

EPL's youngest
  • Ethan Nwaneri (Arsenal)
    15 years, 181 days old
  • Max Dowman (Arsenal)
    15 years, 235 days old
  • Jeremy Monga (Leicester)
    15 years, 271 days old
  • Harvey Elliott (Fulham)
    16 years, 30 days old
  • Matthew Briggs (Fulham)
    16 years, 68 days old
The specs

Engine: 5.0-litre supercharged V8

Transmission: Eight-speed auto

Power: 575bhp

Torque: 700Nm

Price: Dh554,000

On sale: now

SPEC%20SHEET%3A%20SAMSUNG%20GALAXY%20Z%20FLIP5
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EDisplay%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Main%20%E2%80%93%206.7%22%20FHD%2B%20Dynamic%20Amoled%202X%2C%202640%20x%201080%2C%2022%3A9%2C%20425ppi%2C%20HDR10%2B%2C%20up%20to%20120Hz%3B%20cover%20%E2%80%93%203%2F4%22%20Super%20Amoled%2C%20720%20x%20748%2C%20306ppi%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EProcessor%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Qualcomm%20Snapdragon%208%20Gen%202%2C%204nm%2C%20octa-core%3B%20Adreno%20740%20GPU%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EMemory%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%208GB%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ECapacity%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20256%2F512GB%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EPlatform%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Android%2013%2C%20One%20UI%205.1.1%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EMain%20camera%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Dual%2012MP%20ultra-wide%20(f%2F2.2)%20%2B%2012MP%20wide%20(f%2F1.8)%2C%20OIS%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EVideo%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%204K%4030%2F60fps%2C%20full-HD%4060%2F240fps%2C%20HD%40960fps%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EFront%20camera%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%2010MP%20(f%2F2.2)%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EBattery%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%203700mAh%2C%2025W%20fast%20charging%2C%2015W%20wireless%2C%204.5W%20reverse%20wireless%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EConnectivity%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%205G%3B%20Wi-Fi%2C%20Bluetooth%205.3%2C%20NFC%20(Samsung%20Pay)%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EI%2FO%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20USB-C%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ECards%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Nano-SIM%20%2B%20eSIM%3B%20no%20microSD%20slot%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EColours%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Cream%2C%20graphite%2C%20lavender%2C%20mint%3B%20Samsung.com%20exclusives%20%E2%80%93%20blue%2C%20grey%2C%20green%2C%20yellow%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EIn%20the%20box%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Flip%204%2C%20USB-C-to-USB-C%20cable%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EPrice%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Dh3%2C899%20%2F%20Dh4%2C349%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
Pharaoh's curse

British aristocrat Lord Carnarvon, who funded the expedition to find the Tutankhamun tomb, died in a Cairo hotel four months after the crypt was opened.
He had been in poor health for many years after a car crash, and a mosquito bite made worse by a shaving cut led to blood poisoning and pneumonia.
Reports at the time said Lord Carnarvon suffered from “pain as the inflammation affected the nasal passages and eyes”.
Decades later, scientists contended he had died of aspergillosis after inhaling spores of the fungus aspergillus in the tomb, which can lie dormant for months. The fact several others who entered were also found dead withiin a short time led to the myth of the curse.

What the law says

Micro-retirement is not a recognised concept or employment status under Federal Decree Law No. 33 of 2021 on the Regulation of Labour Relations (as amended) (UAE Labour Law). As such, it reflects a voluntary work-life balance practice, rather than a recognised legal employment category, according to Dilini Loku, senior associate for law firm Gateley Middle East.

“Some companies may offer formal sabbatical policies or career break programmes; however, beyond such arrangements, there is no automatic right or statutory entitlement to extended breaks,” she explains.

“Any leave taken beyond statutory entitlements, such as annual leave, is typically regarded as unpaid leave in accordance with Article 33 of the UAE Labour Law. While employees may legally take unpaid leave, such requests are subject to the employer’s discretion and require approval.”

If an employee resigns to pursue micro-retirement, the employment contract is terminated, and the employer is under no legal obligation to rehire the employee in the future unless specific contractual agreements are in place (such as return-to-work arrangements), which are generally uncommon, Ms Loku adds.

Ferrari 12Cilindri specs

Engine: naturally aspirated 6.5-liter V12

Power: 819hp

Torque: 678Nm at 7,250rpm

Price: From Dh1,700,000

Available: Now

UAE currency: the story behind the money in your pockets
The biog

Born: High Wycombe, England

Favourite vehicle: One with solid axels

Favourite camping spot: Anywhere I can get to.

Favourite road trip: My first trip to Kazakhstan-Kyrgyzstan. The desert they have over there is different and the language made it a bit more challenging.

Favourite spot in the UAE: Al Dhafra. It’s unique, natural, inaccessible, unspoilt.

The%20specs
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EEngine%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3ESingle%20front-axle%20electric%20motor%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EPower%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3E218hp%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3ETorque%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3E330Nm%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3ETransmission%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3ESingle-speed%20automatic%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EMax%20touring%20range%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3E402km%20(claimed)%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EPrice%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3EFrom%20Dh215%2C000%20(estimate)%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EOn%20sale%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3ESeptember%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
HER%20FIRST%20PALESTINIAN
%3Cp%3EAuthor%3A%20Saeed%20Teebi%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3EPages%3A%20256%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3EPublisher%3A%C2%A0House%20of%20Anansi%20Press%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
UAE currency: the story behind the money in your pockets
SERIE A FIXTURES

Saturday Benevento v Atalanta (2pm), Genoa v Bologna (5pm), AC Milan v Torino (7.45pm)

Sunday Roma v Inter Milan (3.30pm), Udinese v Napoli, Hellas Verona v Crotone, Parma v Lazio (2pm), Fiorentina v Cagliari (9pm), Juventus v Sassuolo (11.45pm)

Monday Spezia v Sampdoria (11.45pm)

Why are asylum seekers being housed in hotels?

The number of asylum applications in the UK has reached a new record high, driven by those illegally entering the country in small boats crossing the English Channel.

A total of 111,084 people applied for asylum in the UK in the year to June 2025, the highest number for any 12-month period since current records began in 2001.

Asylum seekers and their families can be housed in temporary accommodation while their claim is assessed.

The Home Office provides the accommodation, meaning asylum seekers cannot choose where they live.

When there is not enough housing, the Home Office can move people to hotels or large sites like former military bases.

Wicked
Director: Jon M Chu
Stars: Cynthia Erivo, Ariana Grande, Jonathan Bailey
Rating: 4/5
Grand Slam Los Angeles results

Men:
56kg – Jorge Nakamura
62kg – Joao Gabriel de Sousa
69kg – Gianni Grippo
77kg – Caio Soares
85kg – Manuel Ribamar
94kg – Gustavo Batista
110kg – Erberth Santos

Women:
49kg – Mayssa Bastos
55kg – Nathalie Ribeiro
62kg – Gabrielle McComb
70kg – Thamara Silva
90kg – Gabrieli Pessanha

Updated: August 07, 2024, 4:50 PM`