Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah speaks on video link during a ceremony to mark a week since the assassination of Hezbollah commander Fouad Shukr, in Beirut. Getty Images
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah speaks on video link during a ceremony to mark a week since the assassination of Hezbollah commander Fouad Shukr, in Beirut. Getty Images
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah speaks on video link during a ceremony to mark a week since the assassination of Hezbollah commander Fouad Shukr, in Beirut. Getty Images
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah speaks on video link during a ceremony to mark a week since the assassination of Hezbollah commander Fouad Shukr, in Beirut. Getty Images

Hezbollah's Hassan Nasrallah tells Israel that 'punishment' is coming


  • English
  • Arabic

Live updates: Follow the latest news on Israel-Gaza

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said on Tuesday that the group's retaliation for the assassinations of Ismail Haniyeh and Fouad Shukr was coming and would be carefully calculated.

It came as six people were killed in Lebanon and seven were injured in Israel after Hezbollah and the Israeli army exchanged fire across the border.

Nasrallah was unclear on what the group would do.

“We will respond, but carefully and slowly. Our response is coming. It will either be by ourselves or collectively with the axis,” he said, referring to the Axis of Resistance – an alliance of Iran-backed groups opposed to Israel and the US.

He was speaking at an event to mark a week since Hezbollah commander Mr Shukr was killed in an Israeli attack on Beirut.

“The Israelis' anticipation over the past week is part of the punishment, part of our response, and part of the battle,” Nasrallah said.

“Hezbollah will respond, Iran will respond, Yemen will respond, and the enemy is waiting and watching, calculating every move as a response.

“This is a major battle and this is a dangerous targeting and the resistance cannot, whatever the consequences, ignore it.

“Israel is the one who decided escalation. We have been very guarded over Lebanon and our country’s interests.”

Israel has been on high alert for attacks from Iran and Hezbollah since last week after its killing of Mr Shukr in Beirut and Hamas leader Mr Haniyeh in Tehran – acts which Israel said were in retaliation for the Majdal Shams attack.

Nasrallah said the group's attacks on Israel in the last few days did not constitute its retaliation.

But he did say Hezbollah had hit “new targets on new bases and new settlements”.

Nasrallah pointed out that Hezbollah drones were able to fly far into Israeli territory on Tuesday despite it being on high alert.

Hezbollah has said it will end its cross-border conflict with Israel when a ceasefire is agreed in Gaza, where more than 39,600 people have been killed, according to the enclave's Health Ministry, since the Hamas-led October 7 attack that killed about 1,200.

Nasrallah reiterated that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had no interest in a ceasefire with Hamas and sought only to displace the people of Gaza.

The escalating tension came during the most critical military phase since October, when Hezbollah and other Iran-allied groups across the Middle East started attacking Israeli targets in support of their ally Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

An Israeli strike on the southern Lebanese town of Meifadoun, near the city of Nabatieyeh, killed five people, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said. Separately, one person was killed and another seriously injured in an Israeli raid on the outskirts of the villages of Odaisseh and Rabb El Thalathin.

The Israeli army said it had attacked a “Hezbollah military structure” near Nabatieyeh. Hezbollah announced the death of five of its fighters on Tuesday evening.

In Israel, several people were injured by an Israeli missile interceptor attempting to deflect a barrage of projectiles launched by Hezbollah, the army said.

At least seven were injured during the overall barrage – one of whom was critically injured. The Israeli army did not clarify how many of the seven were injured by the failed interceptor missile.

Hezbollah announced it had launched a squadron of attack drones at the headquarters of the Golani Brigade and Egoz Unit 621, saying they had “achieved confirmed casualties”.

The Israeli army acknowledged “a number of hostile [unmanned aerial vehicles] were identified crossing from Lebanon” but that only one was successfully intercepted.

A man in his 40s was in a critical condition after being hit while driving by one of the Israeli interceptor missiles launched to meet Hezbollah's barrage.

“A preliminary investigation of the incident indicates that it was the fall of an interceptor that missed the target and hit the ground,” the military said.

Israeli police check the site of a Hezbollah explosive drone attack near the northern city of Nahariya, on August 6, 2024. AFP
Israeli police check the site of a Hezbollah explosive drone attack near the northern city of Nahariya, on August 6, 2024. AFP

Ambulance teams “have been dispatched to handle three locations in the Western Galilee, from which a total of seven casualties were evacuated: one in critical condition, one in mild-to-moderate condition, and five in mild condition”, Israel's national ambulance service said.

Air raid sirens sounded in 16 communities across northern Israel on Tuesday afternoon.

Videos circulated on social media showed the damage from the rocket barrage on the military base, with buildings and cars on fire.

The Lebanese group said the attack was in response to the Israeli assassination of Hezbollah member Ali Jawad in the southern Lebanese village of Ebba on Monday.

The Israeli army said Mr Jawad was a commander in Hezbollah’s elite Radwan force.

It came as Israeli fighter jets broke the sound barrier above Beirut in the minutes before Nasrallah's speech.

The disturbance shook the windows of The National’s Beirut bureau and were heard and felt throughout the city and its suburbs. Residents of Beirut said it was the loudest series of sonic booms to hit the Lebanese capital since fighting broke out in October.

The fallout from a deadly rocket attack on the Syrian Druze town of Majdal Shams in the occupied Golan Heights in late July, which killed a dozen children, has left the already volatile region on the course for an all-out confrontation.

Israel said Hezbollah's Mr Shukr orchestrated that attack, while the Lebanese group has denied involvement, instead claiming an Israeli interceptor missile was responsible for the children's deaths.

The two events marked an escalation with major repercussions for the Middle East in general and the Gaza ceasefire talks in particular.

Nasrallah said last week that the red lines crossed by Israel in its assassinations of Mr Shukr and Mr Haniyeh would usher in a “new phase” of the multifront conflict that will make Israel “weep”.

UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy has spoken to Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri Kani, asking Tehran to “think very carefully” about any retaliation against Israel, western officials have told The National.

Mr Lammy spoke to Mr Kani on Tuesday as concerns deepen over a co-ordinated missile attack on Israel.

“The message from the foreign secretary was loud and clear to think very carefully about any retaliation that they are planning in relation to Israel,” the western official said. But the source admitted it was “regrettable” that it was “a question of when, not if” there would be an Iranian response.

Mr Kani was particularly angry on how Israel had conducted its operations in Gaza and “the reality of the situation, when it appears the Israelis have taken out the [Hamas] chief negotiator” on Iranian soil.

Mr Lammy urged for the Gaza peace negotiations to resume as soon as possible. The conversation was a “good call” with a diplomatic tone, although both politicians “to some extent disagreed at times”.

He has cancelled several important bilateral meetings to remain in London this week to deal with any emergency and to speak to interlocutors “sending the message to all sides about taking a breath and that now is the time for cool heads”, the official said.

With additional reporting by Thomas Harding

Jetour T1 specs

Engine: 2-litre turbocharged

Power: 254hp

Torque: 390Nm

Price: From Dh126,000

Available: Now

Specs

Engine: 51.5kW electric motor

Range: 400km

Power: 134bhp

Torque: 175Nm

Price: From Dh98,800

Available: Now

Specs
Engine: Electric motor generating 54.2kWh (Cooper SE and Aceman SE), 64.6kW (Countryman All4 SE)
Power: 218hp (Cooper and Aceman), 313hp (Countryman)
Torque: 330Nm (Cooper and Aceman), 494Nm (Countryman)
On sale: Now
Price: From Dh158,000 (Cooper), Dh168,000 (Aceman), Dh190,000 (Countryman)
ESSENTIALS

The flights 
Fly Etihad or Emirates from the UAE to Moscow from 2,763 return per person return including taxes. 
Where to stay 
Trips on the Golden Eagle Trans-Siberian cost from US$16,995 (Dh62,414) per person, based on two sharing.

Drishyam 2

Directed by: Jeethu Joseph

Starring: Mohanlal, Meena, Ansiba, Murali Gopy

Rating: 4 stars

UAE currency: the story behind the money in your pockets
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ETHE%20SPECS%3C%2Fstrong%3E%0D%3Cbr%3EEngine%3A%203.5-litre%20V6%0D%3Cbr%3ETransmission%3A%209-speed%20automatc%0D%3Cbr%3EPower%3A%20279hp%0D%3Cbr%3ETorque%3A%20350Nm%0D%3Cbr%3EPrice%3A%20From%20Dh250%2C000%0D%3Cbr%3EOn%20sale%3A%20Now%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
The specs
Engine: 3.0-litre 6-cyl turbo

Power: 374hp at 5,500-6,500rpm

Torque: 500Nm from 1,900-5,000rpm

Transmission: 8-speed auto

Fuel consumption: 8.5L/100km

Price: from Dh285,000

On sale: from January 2022 

Tips for entertaining with ease

·         Set the table the night before. It’s a small job but it will make you feel more organised once done.

·         As the host, your mood sets the tone. If people arrive to find you red-faced and harried, they’re not going to relax until you do. Take a deep breath and try to exude calm energy.

·         Guests tend to turn up thirsty. Fill a big jug with iced water and lemon or lime slices and encourage people to help themselves.

·         Have some background music on to help create a bit of ambience and fill any initial lulls in conversations.

·         The meal certainly doesn’t need to be ready the moment your guests step through the door, but if there’s a nibble or two that can be passed around it will ward off hunger pangs and buy you a bit more time in the kitchen.

·         You absolutely don’t have to make every element of the brunch from scratch. Take inspiration from our ideas for ready-made extras and by all means pick up a store-bought dessert.

 

The specs
Engine: 4.0-litre flat-six
Power: 510hp at 9,000rpm
Torque: 450Nm at 6,100rpm
Transmission: 7-speed PDK auto or 6-speed manual
Fuel economy, combined: 13.8L/100km
On sale: Available to order now
Price: From Dh801,800
Company%20profile
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ECompany%20name%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Ogram%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EStarted%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3E2017%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EFounders%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Karim%20Kouatly%20and%20Shafiq%20Khartabil%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EBased%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3EDubai%2C%20UAE%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EIndustry%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20On-demand%20staffing%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3ENumber%20of%20employees%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%2050%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EFunding%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3EMore%20than%20%244%20million%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EFunding%20round%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Series%20A%3Cbr%3E%3Cstrong%3EInvestors%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3EGlobal%20Ventures%2C%20Aditum%20and%20Oraseya%20Capital%3Cbr%3E%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
Why are asylum seekers being housed in hotels?

The number of asylum applications in the UK has reached a new record high, driven by those illegally entering the country in small boats crossing the English Channel.

A total of 111,084 people applied for asylum in the UK in the year to June 2025, the highest number for any 12-month period since current records began in 2001.

Asylum seekers and their families can be housed in temporary accommodation while their claim is assessed.

The Home Office provides the accommodation, meaning asylum seekers cannot choose where they live.

When there is not enough housing, the Home Office can move people to hotels or large sites like former military bases.

Specs

Engine: Dual-motor all-wheel-drive electric

Range: Up to 610km

Power: 905hp

Torque: 985Nm

Price: From Dh439,000

Available: Now

UAE currency: the story behind the money in your pockets
UAE currency: the story behind the money in your pockets
FIXTURES

Nov 04-05: v Western Australia XI, Perth
Nov 08-11: v Cricket Australia XI, Adelaide
Nov 15-18 v Cricket Australia XI, Townsville (d/n)
Nov 23-27: 1ST TEST v AUSTRALIA, Brisbane
Dec 02-06: 2ND TEST v AUSTRALIA, Adelaide (d/n)
Dec 09-10: v Cricket Australia XI, Perth
Dec 14-18: 3RD TEST v AUSTRALIA, Perth
Dec 26-30 4TH TEST v AUSTRALIA, Melbourne
Jan 04-08: 5TH TEST v AUSTRALIA, Sydney

Note: d/n = day/night

The specs

Engine: 1.6-litre 4-cyl turbo

Power: 217hp at 5,750rpm

Torque: 300Nm at 1,900rpm

Transmission: eight-speed auto

Price: from Dh130,000

On sale: now

The BIO

Favourite piece of music: Verdi’s Requiem. It’s awe-inspiring.

Biggest inspiration: My father, as I grew up in a house where music was constantly played on a wind-up gramophone. I had amazing music teachers in primary and secondary school who inspired me to take my music further. They encouraged me to take up music as a profession and I follow in their footsteps, encouraging others to do the same.

Favourite book: Ian McEwan’s Atonement – the ending alone knocked me for six.

Favourite holiday destination: Italy - music and opera is so much part of the life there. I love it.

PROFILE OF STARZPLAY

Date started: 2014

Founders: Maaz Sheikh, Danny Bates

Based: Dubai, UAE

Sector: Entertainment/Streaming Video On Demand

Number of employees: 125

Investors/Investment amount: $125 million. Major investors include Starz/Lionsgate, State Street, SEQ and Delta Partners

Updated: August 07, 2024, 3:42 AM`