The private security forces of parliament speaker Nabih Berri push back the families of the victims of last year's massive blast at Beirut's port, as they protest and try to reach his tightly-secured residence, in Beirut, Lebanon, on July 9, 2021. AP
The private security forces of parliament speaker Nabih Berri push back the families of the victims of last year's massive blast at Beirut's port, as they protest and try to reach his tightly-secured residence, in Beirut, Lebanon, on July 9, 2021. AP
The private security forces of parliament speaker Nabih Berri push back the families of the victims of last year's massive blast at Beirut's port, as they protest and try to reach his tightly-secured residence, in Beirut, Lebanon, on July 9, 2021. AP
The private security forces of parliament speaker Nabih Berri push back the families of the victims of last year's massive blast at Beirut's port, as they protest and try to reach his tightly-secured

Lebanon's MPs ask for more evidence before allowing prosecution of senior officials


Elias Sakr
  • English
  • Arabic

Lebanon’s stalled investigation into the Beirut port explosion last August suffered another setback on Friday as lawmakers asked the lead investigator for further evidence before granting permission to prosecute high-ranking officials.

As parliament’s secretariat and members of the Justice and Administration committee met to discuss the request by Judge Tarek Bitar, news circulated of the outgoing interior minister’s decision to also deny the lead investigator permission to question the head of one of the country’s most powerful security agencies.

The news prompted the families of victims to block the main entrance to the interior ministry’s headquarters after having scuffled with security forces outside Speaker Nabih Berri’s residence in Beirut, where lawmakers met to debate the request.

Deputy Parliament Speaker Elie Ferzli said Parliament's Secretariat will meet again once the lead investigator submits the needed evidence for lawmakers to make a recommendation to the General Assembly, which will have the final say over the request.

Last week, Judge Bitar confirmed charges filed by his predecessor against outgoing prime minister Hassan Diab and asked parliament to lift immunity that shields three MPs who are also former ministers, from prosecution. All three lawmakers, including former finance ministers Hassan Khalil and Ghazi Zeaiter, both members of Mr Berri’s parliamentary bloc, attended Friday’s meeting at the speaker's residence.

Three days before the meeting, Interior Minister Mohamad Fehmi wrote back to the Justice Minister denying the lead investigator permission to question Major Gen Abbas Ibrahim, the head of the influential General Security apparatus, which reports to the Interior Ministry. The minister’s memo made the rounds on Friday.

The security chief issued a statement shortly after, saying he abides by the law while denying any wrongdoing in connection with the blast, which killed more than 200 people, injured thousands, caused $15 billion in property damage and left an estimated 300,000 homeless.

The interior minister’s decision drew criticism from human rights activists and legal experts who lamented the stalled investigation. Eleven months after the blast, it remains unclear what triggered the explosion of hundreds of tonnes of ammonium nitrate that were stored for six years at one of the region’s busiest ports with the knowledge of security agencies.

Who owned the explosive chemicals also remains a mystery, amid reports linking the ammonium nitrate to individuals with ties to Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime, an ally of the Iran-backed Lebanese armed group Hezbollah.

“While not surprising, Fehmi's decision to reject Bitar's request to prosecute Abbas Ibrahim for his role in the #Beirut Blast is disgraceful. There can be no justice for the blast as long as high-level officials remain immune from prosecution,” said Aya Majzoub, a researcher with Human Rights Watch.

Last month, the families of victims, backed by a number of lawmakers, petitioned the UN for an international inquiry into the explosion.

Judge Fadi Sawan was removed by the supreme court after charging Mr Diab, along with three other former ministers, of criminal negligence in the case. His removal followed a request by both Mr Hassan Khalil and Mr Zeaiter, who along with Mr Diab had snubbed the former lead investigator’s summons. All three argued Judge Sawan had no authority to question them under the constitution, which protects members of parliament and ministers from prosecution for decisions made in their line of work.

Last week, Mr Bitar summoned Mr Diab for questioning but did not disclose the date of the hearing.

Mr Sawan’s indictment of Mr Diab had fuelled tension between President Michel Aoun and prime minister-designate Saad Hariri, who called it an attack on the post of premier, a position reserved for Sunni Muslims under Lebanon's power-sharing system. The presidency, on the other hand, is reserved for a Christian.

Company info

Company name: Entrupy 

Co-founders: Vidyuth Srinivasan, co-founder/chief executive, Ashlesh Sharma, co-founder/chief technology officer, Lakshmi Subramanian, co-founder/chief scientist

Based: New York, New York

Sector/About: Entrupy is a hardware-enabled SaaS company whose mission is to protect businesses, borders and consumers from transactions involving counterfeit goods.  

Initial investment/Investors: Entrupy secured a $2.6m Series A funding round in 2017. The round was led by Tokyo-based Digital Garage and Daiwa Securities Group's jointly established venture arm, DG Lab Fund I Investment Limited Partnership, along with Zach Coelius. 

Total customers: Entrupy’s customers include hundreds of secondary resellers, marketplaces and other retail organisations around the world. They are also testing with shipping companies as well as customs agencies to stop fake items from reaching the market in the first place. 

Al Jazira's foreign quartet for 2017/18

Romarinho, Brazil

Lassana Diarra, France

Sardor Rashidov, Uzbekistan

Mbark Boussoufa, Morocco

THE SPECS

BMW X7 xDrive 50i

Engine: 4.4-litre V8

Transmission: Eight-speed Steptronic transmission

Power: 462hp

Torque: 650Nm

Price: Dh600,000

RESULTS

Bantamweight:
Zia Mashwani (PAK) bt Chris Corton (PHI)

Super lightweight:
Flavio Serafin (BRA) bt Mohammad Al Khatib (JOR)

Super lightweight:
Dwight Brooks (USA) bt Alex Nacfur (BRA)

Bantamweight:
Tariq Ismail (CAN) bt Jalal Al Daaja (JOR)

Featherweight:
Abdullatip Magomedov (RUS) bt Sulaiman Al Modhyan (KUW)

Middleweight:
Mohammad Fakhreddine (LEB) bt Christofer Silva (BRA)

Middleweight:
Rustam Chsiev (RUS) bt Tarek Suleiman (SYR)

Welterweight:
Khamzat Chimaev (SWE) bt Mzwandile Hlongwa (RSA)

Lightweight:
Alex Martinez (CAN) bt Anas Siraj Mounir (MAR)

Welterweight:
Jarrah Al Selawi (JOR) bt Abdoul Abdouraguimov (FRA)

Tell Me Who I Am

Director: Ed Perkins

Stars: Alex and Marcus Lewis

Four stars

AI traffic lights to ease congestion at seven points to Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Street

The seven points are:

Shakhbout bin Sultan Street

Dhafeer Street

Hadbat Al Ghubainah Street (outbound)

Salama bint Butti Street

Al Dhafra Street

Rabdan Street

Umm Yifina Street exit (inbound)

Liverpool’s fixtures until end of 2019

Saturday, November 30, Brighton (h)

Wednesday, December 4, Everton (h)

Saturday, December 7, Bournemouth (a)

Tuesday, December 10, Salzburg (a) CL

Saturday, December 14, Watford (h)

Tuesday, December 17, Aston Villa (a) League Cup

Wednesday, December 18, Club World Cup in Qatar

Saturday, December 21, Club World Cup in Qatar

Thursday, December 26, Leicester (a)

Sunday, December 29, Wolves (h)

MATCH INFO

Manchester United 1 (Rashford 36')

Liverpool 1 (Lallana 84')

Man of the match: Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

Western Region Asia Cup T20 Qualifier

Sun Feb 23 – Thu Feb 27, Al Amerat, Oman

The two finalists advance to the Asia qualifier in Malaysia in August

 

Group A

Bahrain, Maldives, Oman, Qatar

Group B

UAE, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia

 

UAE group fixtures

Sunday Feb 23, 9.30am, v Iran

Monday Feb 25, 1pm, v Kuwait

Tuesday Feb 26, 9.30am, v Saudi

 

UAE squad

Ahmed Raza, Rohan Mustafa, Alishan Sharafu, Ansh Tandon, Vriitya Aravind, Junaid Siddique, Waheed Ahmed, Karthik Meiyappan, Basil Hameed, Mohammed Usman, Mohammed Ayaz, Zahoor Khan, Chirag Suri, Sultan Ahmed

RESULTS

Tottenham 1

Jan Vertonghen 13'

Norwich 1

Josip Drmic 78'

2-3 on penalties

Updated: July 09, 2021, 5:37 PM`