Starliner capsule set for next launch attempt this week as Boeing rebuilds reputation


Sarwat Nasir
  • English
  • Arabic

Boeing’s much anticipated first manned flight of the Starliner CST-100 capsule hit another setback on Tuesday due to a technical issue with the rocket meant to carry the craft into space.

The launch was cancelled about two hours before lift-off after a faulty oxygen relief valve was discovered in the Atlas V rocket built by United Launch Alliance, a joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed.

On-board were two Nasa astronauts who were set for a two-week stay on the International Space Station, with the mission expected to show that the capsule was safe and ready for commercial operations.

Now, we'll take the next day or so to look at the data and to recommend the next course of action
Kenneth Bowersox,
Nasa's Space Operations Mission Directorate

The mission is pivotal for Boeing as it seeks to rebuild its reputation after two crashes involving 737 Max 8 jets and a mid-flight door panel blowout on a 737 Max 9 jet earlier this year.

With the Starliner project, the plane-maker aims to turn the page and restore faith in its engineering prowess.

United Launch Alliance has now set Friday as its target launch date.

Dana Weigel, ISS programme manager at US space agency Nasa, told a media briefing after the mission was scrubbed that Boeing had “plenty of time to fly”.

“With all of the mission prep and then the final scrub call … we're not in a rush to fly from a station standpoint,” she said.

“We did clear our summer schedule intentionally to give us plenty of runway for the CFT mission.”

Multibillion dollar Nasa contract

Nasa awarded Boeing with a $4.2 billion contract under its Commercial Crew Programme, which aims to encourage companies to develop spacecraft that can deliver astronauts into space.

However, the development of the Starliner CST-100 has been plagued with delays because of various technical issues over the past decade.

Elon Musk's SpaceX, also part of the Commercial Crew Programme, has dominated the lucrative business and delivered eight crews to the ISS on behalf of Nasa since 2020.

Even though Boeing lags behind SpaceX, a second ride to the space station would still be welcomed by Nasa as it would increase the space agency's access to the ISS.

It would also reduce Nasa's dependence on a single spacecraft for missions, which would help in case one is grounded due to technical reasons.

Boeing completed an unmanned test flight in 2022 when a Starliner capsule docked at the ISS and returned to Earth.

The launch came about three years after a failed test flight in 2019 that foiled the craft's ability to reach the station due to a software glitch.

'Proper action' taken

Kenneth Bowersox, associate administrator of Nasa's Space Operations Mission Directorate, said delaying Tuesday's launch was the “proper action”.

He said the oxygen relief valve regulates the pressure in the upper stage of the rocket. Maintaining it is important for the engines to run properly and take the crew into orbit.

“We saw the self-regulating valve on the lock side had a bit of a buzz and so it was moving in a strange behaviour,” he said.

“The flight rules had been laid out for this flight ahead of time with the crew at the launch pad.

“The proper action was to take the scrub and United Launch Alliance team did a great job of assessing the data, talking through various options and put us into a scrub condition.

“Now, we'll take the next day or so to look at the data and to recommend the next course of action.”

Meet the crew

Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams at Cape Canaveral in Florida. Photo: AFP
Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams at Cape Canaveral in Florida. Photo: AFP

The astronauts selected by Nasa to test the capsule are Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore.

Ms Williams, a retired Navy captain, has logged 322 days in space and completed seven spacewalks totalling 50 hours and 40 minutes.

Mr Wilmore is a US Navy captain who has spent a total of 178 days in space. He was selected as an astronaut in 2000.

COMPANY PROFILE

Name: Xpanceo

Started: 2018

Founders: Roman Axelrod, Valentyn Volkov

Based: Dubai, UAE

Industry: Smart contact lenses, augmented/virtual reality

Funding: $40 million

Investor: Opportunity Venture (Asia)

EPL's youngest
  • Ethan Nwaneri (Arsenal)
    15 years, 181 days old
  • Max Dowman (Arsenal)
    15 years, 235 days old
  • Jeremy Monga (Leicester)
    15 years, 271 days old
  • Harvey Elliott (Fulham)
    16 years, 30 days old
  • Matthew Briggs (Fulham)
    16 years, 68 days old
Specs

Engine: 51.5kW electric motor

Range: 400km

Power: 134bhp

Torque: 175Nm

Price: From Dh98,800

Available: Now

Dhadak 2

Director: Shazia Iqbal

Starring: Siddhant Chaturvedi, Triptii Dimri 

Rating: 1/5

BMW M5 specs

Engine: 4.4-litre twin-turbo V-8 petrol enging with additional electric motor

Power: 727hp

Torque: 1,000Nm

Transmission: 8-speed auto

Fuel consumption: 10.6L/100km

On sale: Now

Price: From Dh650,000

Honeymoonish
%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EDirector%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%20Elie%20El%20Samaan%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3EStarring%3A%20%3C%2Fstrong%3ENour%20Al%20Ghandour%2C%20Mahmoud%20Boushahri%3C%2Fp%3E%0A%3Cp%3E%3Cstrong%3ERating%3A%3C%2Fstrong%3E%203%2F5%3C%2Fp%3E%0A
Red flags
  • Promises of high, fixed or 'guaranteed' returns.
  • Unregulated structured products or complex investments often used to bypass traditional safeguards.
  • Lack of clear information, vague language, no access to audited financials.
  • Overseas companies targeting investors in other jurisdictions - this can make legal recovery difficult.
  • Hard-selling tactics - creating urgency, offering 'exclusive' deals.

Courtesy: Carol Glynn, founder of Conscious Finance Coaching

Netherlands v UAE, Twenty20 International series

Saturday, August 3 - First T20i, Amstelveen
Monday, August 5 – Second T20i, Amstelveen​​​​​​​
Tuesday, August 6 – Third T20i, Voorburg​​​​​​​
Thursday, August 8 – Fourth T20i, Vooryburg

How much do leading UAE’s UK curriculum schools charge for Year 6?
  1. Nord Anglia International School (Dubai) – Dh85,032
  2. Kings School Al Barsha (Dubai) – Dh71,905
  3. Brighton College Abu Dhabi - Dh68,560
  4. Jumeirah English Speaking School (Dubai) – Dh59,728
  5. Gems Wellington International School – Dubai Branch – Dh58,488
  6. The British School Al Khubairat (Abu Dhabi) - Dh54,170
  7. Dubai English Speaking School – Dh51,269

*Annual tuition fees covering the 2024/2025 academic year

Key facilities
  • Olympic-size swimming pool with a split bulkhead for multi-use configurations, including water polo and 50m/25m training lanes
  • Premier League-standard football pitch
  • 400m Olympic running track
  • NBA-spec basketball court with auditorium
  • 600-seat auditorium
  • Spaces for historical and cultural exploration
  • An elevated football field that doubles as a helipad
  • Specialist robotics and science laboratories
  • AR and VR-enabled learning centres
  • Disruption Lab and Research Centre for developing entrepreneurial skills
Tonight's Chat on The National

Tonight's Chat is a series of online conversations on The National. The series features a diverse range of celebrities, politicians and business leaders from around the Arab world.

Tonight’s Chat host Ricardo Karam is a renowned author and broadcaster who has previously interviewed Bill Gates, Carlos Ghosn, Andre Agassi and the late Zaha Hadid, among others.

Intellectually curious and thought-provoking, Tonight’s Chat moves the conversation forward.

Facebook | Our website | Instagram

 

Updated: May 07, 2024, 9:07 AM`